Problems with iOS 5.1.1

I only unfortunately only have one iOS device for testing, an iPod Touch 4G which I use as a smart-phone-without-phone, tethered to a Nokia dumb phone or using WiFi. So in other words, I use it for testing but don’t have a completely blank slate that’s normally needed for proper testing.

Some users reported problems with newer versions of AudioExplorer and iOS 5.1, which I was unable to verify, not having upgraded to that version yet myself. I was also under the impression that versions 5.0.1 and 5.1 were similar enough. However, after I was forced to upgrade to 5.1.1 myself in order to use a certain app (DB Tickets), I finally was able to find out the problem: 5.1.1 seems to be stricter about how an app is signed. Plus, my iPod ran builds of AudioExplorer that didn’t run on one of my beta testers’ device. The previous releases 1.3, 1.4, 1.4.1 all had this problem. However, the next release will, with a bit of luck, finally really work with iOS 5.1.

While I’m waiting for the beta testers to test, I took the time to incorporate some of their suggestions, like the ability to manually remove an app from the app listing. This is not only handy if the app is deleted (thus avoiding a complete refresh), but also if you just want to remove an app you’re not interested in (of course, neither the audio files nor the app itself is removed from the iDevice, just the listing in AudioExplorer).

Browsing my Mac’s files in iOS Simulator

Even though I can’t test a lot of functionality on the iOS Simulator, I like to run AudioExplorer in it every once in a while, to do things like see how the app (might) look on an iPad (I only have an iPod Touch for testing). I’m adding a new feature to Audioexplorer that is basically a file browser filter for audio files. I was surprised to find when testing this functionality on the iOS Simulator, I didn’t get an error when trying to open the root directory, or the contents of the Simulators home directory (which would beĀ ~/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/x.xx on my mac) but instead got the contents of my Mac’s own root directory. Here’s a screenshot of the Applications directory:

I guess since App Store apps can’t access most parts of the file system, the Simulator developers didn’t invest any time in making the file access feature realistic. For me, it didn’t matter much, the test was still useful.